Friday, September 7, 2007

You may have a GPS Navigation system and not even know it!!!

I usually don't write about something like cell phones but I had an experience today that was so exciting I need to share it.

I am getting ready to take a trip to Laguna Beach from Vegas. My partner isn't to keen on trying to read a map in the middle of LA traffic so I thought I would pick up a GPS system in order to take some of the stress off the entire trip. I started by reviewing what Consumer Report had written on GPS systems and which ones they rated as most effective for the money. Then I headed to Costco to see if I could find any of the ones they had listed. I did find one not on the list but appeared to have all the right functions and stared toward the checkout stand. As I passed the cell phone booth one of the sales people asked me if I had the GPS on my phone activated. I responded with NOOOO???? I don't think I have GPS on my phone as I pulled it out of my pocket.

As soon as he saw it was a Razor he asked me who my carrier was. I responded Verizon. He said yes you do have GPS on your phone. I stood there a bit dazed and then decided I needed to ask more questions.

Ultimately I ended up saving myself approximately $400.00 by activating my GPS on my cell phone for 9.99 per month. The really great thing about this is that you never have to buy updates. Verizon updates their system approximately once a week which saves you probably another $300.00 per year by avoiding buying software upgrades to keep current with new development.

I thanked the sales person for Verizon repeatedly and took the Magellan back where I had picked it up.

Next time you’re planning a trip, you might want to call your cell phone provider and ask if your phone has GPS capabilities and if they offer a Navigation service.

I have played around with it a bit this afternoon and it works fantastically. I don't think I could have bought one that would have worked any better than my cell phone.

Thanks again Sales guy!!!

No comments: